Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Turkey Sandwiches

0 comments
The turkey seemed thawed this morning, but when I cut it out of the plastic bag it had ice in the middle and I couldn’t get the giblets out of the cavity. So I soaked it for about another hour, and everything seemed to be fine. According to my favorite cookbook The Joy of Cooking (1975 edition) it should take four hours to roast a 16.39 pound turkey. Just to be safe, I went with five. The 1975 edition tells you how to do everything, and it’s like an old fashioned “Cooking for Dummies,” except that it had dictionary and procedure functions for everything too. For one thing, it sounds as if it was written for someone on a farm, or who might butcher their own animals.
You are supposed to rub the fowl down with shortening or butter, and to baste it every 10 minutes. If I’m not careful my glasses fog up when I open the oven door, and basting the thing 24 times is something I know the BW has never done, or any of the women in my family’s last two preceding generations. Fortunately I have a nice big stainless steel roaster with a non-stick rack to keep the bird out of the juice. All you need to do is take the top off for an hour if you want the skin brown, and it works just fine.
Read More

0 comments:

Post a Comment